Lenda Murray ushered in modern female bodybuilding when she won her first Ms. Olympia title in 1990. Her physique was stacked and loaded, devastating the competition. From there, she went on to win eight Ms. Olympia titles; a record overtaken only by Iris Kyle.
Before bodybuilding, Lenda was a cheerleader. In a biography I saw about her life, she said she was interested in what the guys were doing in the weight room, and decided to try it herself. Later, she became part of Joe Weider’s bodybuilding family — starring in training videos with other athletes trained under Weider, such as The Weider Principles video series.
Lenda is now over fifty years old, and what’s impressive about, is she can still compete today. She still has huge, beautiful muscles, and has not given up on bodybuilding. Which means she has a true love for the sport.
Lenda’s Contest Record:
- 1985 NPC Michigan State – 4th
- 1985 NPC Eastern Michigan – 1st
- 1986 NPC Michigan – 3rd
- 1986 NPC Ironwoman Michigan – 3rd
- 1987 NPC Michigan – 3rd
- 1987 NPC North Coast – 2nd
- 1988 NPC Michigan – 1st
- 1989 NPC Junior Nationals – 1st (HW and Overall)
- 1989 IFBB North American Championships – 1st (HW and Overall)
- 1990 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 1st
- 1991 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 1st
- 1992 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 1st
- 1993 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 1st
- 1994 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 1st
- 1995 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 1st
- 1996 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 2nd
- 1997 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 2nd
- 2002 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 1st (HW and Overall)
- 2003 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 1st (HW and Overall)
- 2004 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 2nd (HW)
Article initially published on Sep. 6, 2013 - Updated and republished on May 3, 2018
MEET SYLVIA PETRO — THE BROKE, FIT SINGLE MOM: As an athlete of over 15 years, and a broke single mom for most of that time, I created this site to aid not only broke single parents to a life of fitness, but anyone who believes the road to fitness requires a lot of cash or time. In reality, the road to fitness is paved with knowledge and firm principles; informing readers about mastering both of those building blocks is my goal.